What is metal allergy?

Almost all cases of metal allergy are related to nickel. SUUZ jewelry is produced with NO nickel whatsoever. Nickel is commonly used as a cheap “fill” metal for gold or silver alloys. Though it is mixed with other metals, or sometimes even covered with plating, it can still cause allergic reactions.

What are the symptoms?

If (cheap) earrings make your earlobes itch or your necklace leaves a rash around your neck, you may have a nickel allergy. It’s one of the most common skin allergies so don’t worry.

You’ll usually see symptoms 6 to 24 hours after you’re exposed. They include itching, redness, rash, dry patches, and swelling of the skin. The blisters may break, leaving crusts and scales.

If left untreated, your skin may become dark, leathery, and cracked. Usually, the rash is only on the part of your skin in direct contact with the nickel. In serious cases, the rash may spread. Sweating may make it worse.

Tests and Treatments

A doctor or dermatologist can easily diagnose a nickel allergy with a simple patch test. If you develop any allergic reaction within 48 hours, than you likely have nickel allergy. A nickel allergy will remain with you for life, but exposure due to jewelry is easy to avoid. Don’t but cheap plated jewelry, go for sterling silver gold, stainless steel or platinum. If you find yourself having a reaction hydrocortisone cream or antihistamine pills which you can buy at the drug store may help ease the symptoms.

About Suuz

At suuz.com you design your personalised jewelry right here online. Once designed you can easily order a test model to see your design or get it in beautifully polished silver or gold. Each piece is hand crafted in the Netherlands to perfection.

Let's design your piece >